With practically every airline charging fees for checked bags these days, many travelers are trying to find ways to avoid checking bags all together.
Packing light has many advantages besides just avoiding airline fees. For example, you don't have to stand around for an hour waiting for your bags to show up on the baggage carrousel upon arrival at your destination and there's no chance that your bags will be lost or damaged en route. It's also easier to get through busy airports and train stations with fewer and smaller bags, and it makes it simple to take public transportation, rather than relying on high cost taxis and limos.
Here are some tips and suggestions for packing light, and fitting all your travel luxuries into one easy, carry-on bag.
1. Make a Packing List base on items and clothing that you know you'll need on your trip and stick to it! Try to avoid bringing items that you think you might need.
2. Wear layered clothing when you travel, that stretches and breathes giving you more room in your bag.
3. Pack wrinkle-free clothing as much as possible.
4. Rolling your clothes instead of laying them flat in the bag will provide more space.
5. Select one or two color scheme. Sometimes it's a good idea to add a few items with dark patterns, such as plaids as they help hide wrinkles, stains and dirt.
6. Reversible clothing, especially tops, are great choices since they effectively double your clothing choices.
7. Pack clothing that will dry quickly as you may need to wash some items during your trip.
8. Consider using a dual-purpose bag (suitcase/backpack combined) if you're going to be doing a lot of walking.
9. To simplify things for yourself, consider buying toiletries such as shampoo and toothpaste during your trip.
10. Make sure to follow the TSA 3-1-1 Liquid Rules;
Any liquid or gel packed in your carry-on bag must fit in a container that is a maximum of 3 ounces.
1 Quart: Containers carrying your liquids and gels must be packed in a clear, plastic bag that is no larger than 1 quart and has to be able to close completely.
1 Person: Every person is allowed to bring one clear, quart-size bag of properly sized containers noted above. Many stores have increase their supply of toiletries that meet the TSA guidelines.
Contact a Professional Travel Agent today to get started booking your next vacation!